Saturday 28 September 2013

Boring couple of days ...

... and a headache!  I blame that on the OH.  Yesterday he mentioned that I'd been really good with headaches of late and I had been - until last night and one started.  I went to bed with it and I got up with it.  It's been ..... can't remember how long, since I last had one.  If he'd kept quiet perhaps I'd not have this one now.  It's not bad but annoying, none-the-less :(

Yesterday we took a trip to Farnborough, about 1½ hours away from home.  OH had some new wheels for his wheelchair, ordered from Germany and they needed fitting.  They're super duper, bells and whistles all singing and dancing and I'm hoping they'll get him out from under my feet a couple of days a week.  I'm hoping they get him back to his shooting which hasn't happened for 4 years or so now. Not since the problem started with his thumb back in 2009 and has been ongoing with his left arm, in one way or another, since.  These wheels each have a motor in the hub that assists with mobility - it aids him pushing himself by taking some of the strain and is, supposedly, particularly helpful over rough ground.   They have their own axle and that is what had to be fitted and he had to have instruction on how to use them.  

I should have stayed at home or taken my Kindle!  It was boring, snoring. We were just round the corner from the Art of Craft craft shop so I took a stroll there when I went to get us some lunch.  Got there and then couldn't be bothered to go in, just looked in the cheap bins outside and didn't see anything that took my fancy in them.

The one thing of note from the trip?  I recognised one of the guys sitting at a computer when we arrived but didn't know why.  Just a very familiar face to me.  While we were there a young guy came in and he was measured for a wheelchair ... a tennis wheelchair and 'ding' a light bulb went off.  The guy I recognised was a Paralympian and not just any old Paralympian.  It was our top medal winning wheelchair tennis player, Peter Norfolk, OBE - and the guy who was our flag bearer, leading the British team, at the opening ceremony of the Paralympics London 2012.  He's retired since the games but the business we visited is his.

Anyway, there I was in the company of 3 Paralympians ... my OH (Atlanta 1996), Peter (Athens 2004, Beijing 2008, London 2012) and Nathan Milgate (Beijing 2008, London 2012)  long time friend of OH's and who we've known since he was a lad needing his parents to ferry him around.  He was the one who was dealing with OH and his wheels.  Anyway, axle fitted, wheels tested and day (manual) wheels adapted to new axle and home we went.

In my 'brief' catch up post last October I mentioned eldest grandson had got married in September.  He's not long celebrated his first wedding anniversary.  It was a reason for another photo book. Completed this one a few months ago now and I did 2 versions.  One was a copy for both sons - grandson's Dad and bridesmaid's Dad.  Neither wanted photos of the other families involved (ex daughter-in-law's or bride's side) so I did one without them but I've also done one with them using the some of the professional photos and snagged ones from Facebook.  They said they were going to give me copies of discs others gave them but they weren't forthcoming so I did the best I could with what I found and this is the result ....



Thanks for dropping by .....

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

burnee said...

Love the wedding book - beautiful surroundings