Tuesday 27 April 2010

I'm speechless! ...

... well, perhaps not quite but I'm certainly gobsmacked!

I've just been filling in a registration form and the County/State is a requirement, as it sometimes is (always, on US forms). I'm so used to putting in East Sussex as my county I've been totally thrown! I should explain I guess. Some years ago - in 1997, in fact - Brighton and Hove amalgamated as a town but it also became a unitary authority and as such we became our own 'county'. We separated from the county of East Sussex and became just Brighton & Hove without a county being part of our address. Since then, where forms have had to have a county entered I've always used East Sussex as that is what we used to be (since Sussex was split into 2 and became East and West) and is usually on any drop-down menu. Other than that I leave the State/County part blank, as it doesn't really apply to my address.

Today, I'm filling in this registration form and the State/County is a requirement. I click on the drop-down menu and - shock, horror - there's Brighton & Hove showing on the list! The first time evah! that I've seen it and where's the site based? In the good ol' USofA! Not even in my own country but across the pond and they've got a proper list.

UK based sites - please take note and update yours now 'cos I'm fed up of saying my home is in a county that it has nothing to do with any more!  You make me lie and I don't like it!

Thanks for dropping by .....
 

2 comments:

Lillian Robinson said...

Wow! We're ahead of the game on something?

betty-NZ said...

I guess it just goes to prove that you never know what you will find out there in cyberspace!