Monday 26 October 2009

Oooops! ...

... poor Dad. Went to see him today and he seemed proper down. Couldn't get him talking much and he was very confused. I asked him if he was having a bad day and he said he 'supposed he was'. A little pressing and it seems he'd been told off by the care staff. I'm sure they haven't been nasty because, from what he tells me, one has been trying to explain to him but .... they've told him to stop pushing his emergency button when there's no emergency! Seems he's waking up and waiting. Gets fed up of waiting so pushes the button to ask where they are - lol! Never been known for his patience has Dad - he just doesn't do waiting - but, because he's got no sense of time 2 seconds can seem like 20 minutes or more to him when he's waiting for something. Anyway, he thinks waiting too long (or his idea of too long) constitutes an emergency so is pushing his button, more in the way he did while in rehab when he needed to go to the bathroom or similar ... because that's what they told him to do there so that somebody was with him. He had one of these buttons before he moved and didn't use it once (although I expected him to) but now it seems he thinks it's there for his beck and call ... exactly as it was in rehab so, once again, he's living on his memories from those few weeks. I tried explaining to him again as to what would constitute an emergency to warrant him pressing the button. One day it will go in.

Strange thing is, when he does have a genuine reason to push it, he doesn't! On my visit last week I had reason to ask him if he'd had a bad fall since I last called on him. He admitted to having a fall but 'not a bad one'. Then he asked me how I knew. Think the large hole in the kitchen wall gave me a clue! It was large enough I could put my hand through into the cavity and the wall was cracked over a 2 to 3 square foot area with the hole towards the top, as if his head had gone through it. He had no idea the hole was there ... he said! Now got to get builders in to replace the whole panel of wallboard, replaster and paint! Just as well it wasn't the bricks & mortar solid walls he had before he moved .... dread to think.


Had a lovely day at The Craft Barn yesterday, with friend Greta, at a watercolouring class in the morning and another for using Derwent Coloursoft - UK version of Prisma Colors - in the afternoon. Learnt I'm still rubbish at watercolouring (and beginning to think I shall remain so) and that I'm happy with my own interpretation of using my Prismas (Coloursoft). Didn't pick up any extra tips on the Coloursoft as it seems the tutor hadn't used them as much as me (and I haven't used them much) but enjoyed the class anyway. Finished projects are on the last post ...



Thanks for dropping by .....

No comments: