Friday 8 May 2009

You're way ...


... too clever! Spot on Sue - it's a prosthetic leg - or Grandad's wooden leg as we used to say when me and my brother were kids! Shows how times change, not just with the style of the leg but because not one person in the family - least of all him - considered he was disabled. Today he'd be considered severely disabled and possibly on benefits, which he didn't get at all back then! He worked all his life up to his retirement, as a gas fitter and, apart from a limp when his leg was locked to walk, nobody would have guessed he had a 'wooden leg'.

Grandad lost his leg in the late 1940s and I used to think he lost it in the war (he's the Grandad of the WWI and the one whose Pip, Squeak and Wilfred medals I have) but he actually had phlebitis at some point and it would have killed him without the amputation. It was full leg amputation and I can remember being fascinated by his stump. Odd thing is, Grandad died back in 1977, aged 84. Why Mum & Dad never returned the leg to the Limb & Rehab centre, which is only about 3 miles away, I have no idea but it was obviously confined to the loft instead. Perhaps they thought it 'might come in useful sometime' - *LOLOL* I have no idea what to do with it now. Guess I need to talk to the Limb & Rehab centre!!

I've been playing in PSP and other editng progs again and there are some more 'freebies' available now ...

I was supposed to have had a day of classes at the Glitterpot yesterday but the afternoon class was cancelled because there wasn't enough support. Morning one went ahead though and it was very enjoyable. Not totally what I expected but I found it quite relaxing. It was with Gaynor White whose speciality is stamping images onto patterned paper and decoupaging them - to the minutest detail!! Card made, which will be photographed and posted in due course.

Thanks for dropping by .....

1 comment:

sheffsue said...

I got something right for a change (been a lot brain-fogged this last few weeks). You could always save your loose change in it Peejay...wonder how much it would hold?

Sue x