Sunday 28 December 2008

Cuttlebug Q & A's

I don't profess to be an expert on Cuttlebug usage by any means but, I've picked up lots of information and tips along the way in trying to help other people or just in my general playing with the machine. I decided to try and put together a Q&A post using questions I've seen asked by new users. This is intended to be an expanding Q&A so, if anyone has a question they'd like answered and it's not covered here please ask by leaving a comment and, if I don't know the answer I'll certainly do my best to find out.....


Q: When you cut a die is it supposed to leave an impression on the B plate or am I doing something wrong?
A: No, you're not doing anything wrong. All dies cut with a metal blade of some sort and a metal blade hitting plastic will always leave a mark. I would recommend that you keep one B plate as your 'cutting' plate and keep the other 'clean'. You will then have a clean plate that will not leave marks on cardstock if you want to use other dies/stencils. Personally I have 2 sets of B plates and I keep one set for cutting and the other set for everything else.

Q: Can I use other makes of dies in my Cuttlebug?
A: Yes, as long as they fit through the space available. Adjust the 'stack' or 'sandwich' so the die and media go through the machine comfortably - not forced or too slack.

Q: Can I emboss with brass stencils in my Cuttlebug?
A: Yes. Ensure that you use the 'clean' B plate (as previously mentioned) on the 'right' side of your embossing, otherwise you will get embossed cut marks on the surface.

Q: Do I need anything extra to be able to emboss with brass stencils?
A: You need to use something like compressed foam or a rubber mat as part of the stack. The Spellbinder's Wizard tan mat is ideal, as is the tan mat sold by Oyster Stamps. Some people use a mouse mat or funky foam but I've not had much success with them although they are useful as a temporary measure. Kars have also produced a foam mat for use with the cuttlebug and, although I've not had problems using it, it is very tight to get through the Cuttlebug and some people have been known to break their machine using it.

Q: I've been trying to emboss with brass stencils but it's not happening. What should I do?
A: If you've followed the recommended stack it's likely that you need to add a shim to thicken the sandwich slightly. All machines are different and, although most won't need to have a shim added, unless it's specifically mentioned in the stack, sometimes a little assistance is called for.

Q: My non-Cuttlebug dies won't cut or don't cut well. What am I doing wrong?
A: Probably nothing. If you've followed the recommended stack it's likely that you need to add a shim to thicken the sandwich slightly. All machines are different and, although most won't need to have a shim added unless it's specifically mentioned in the stack, sometimes a little assistance is called for.

Q: What's a shim?
A: A shim is an piece of cardstock cut to size and added to the stack. I use the cardstock/chipboard from the back of paper pads as it's sturdy.

Q: You keep mentioning 'stack' or 'sandwich'. What are they?
A: They're the order that you need to use the plates, cardstock (media), dies/stencils, mat and shims in to make whatever you are trying to do, work. I started by using the stack list found here but I've adjusted it to suit my own machine. I downloaded it to my PC then printed it off and, as I found where I needed to add shims or not use them so I amended the list. I would recommend that everyone does the same and then keep it with their 'bug' plates.

Q: My B plates bow when I put them through the Cuttlebug. Is this normal?
A: Yes, it's perfectly normal. I turn mine over after each use to keep them flat however some people do not advocate doing so as they say the plates are more likely to break. Provocraft themselves recommend that they're turned (or rotated**) so I'll continue to do so. It's always wise to have a spare set of plates to hand so if the plates do break (and it is more likely to be down to general usage than turning them) you have replacements ready.
** Provocraft blog - Cuttlebug Conversion dated 24th June 2008.

Q: Is there a recommended way of putting cutting dies through the machine
A: Always have the cutting side facing upwards. This is the foam side on most dies but the 'bumpy' side of Spellbinder's dies.

Q: Do you leave the foam on cuttlebug dies?
A: Yes, as it is the foam that enables easy release of the media from the die, after it has been cut. With some manufacturers you have to attach the foam after you have purchased the die.


Update 27th Sept 2009: The blog appears to be no longer available on the Provocraft site but there is now a comprehensive FAQ page in the Cuttlebug section of the site.

Enjoy!!


No comments: