Tuesday 9 December 2008

Colouring Techniques Workshop

I spent a day at the Glitterpot on Friday trying to learn how to colour more effectively, with Jane Gill as tutor. Not sure it was totally successful on my part - in fact, I know it wasn't but, I have learnt what to steer clear of and what I prefer. I wasn't alone in wanting to learn this art as none other than Julie Hickey was also taking the class. Now, if a crafting guru such as Julie feels a need for a class on colouring techniques, then I reckon I shouldn't worry too much about my feeble attempts - lol!! Anyway, it was a very intensive but enjoyable day.

The colouring mediums in use were Derwent Inktense and Derwent Coloursoft, Sansodor and paper stumps (alternatively known as blending stumps). We also had a selection of papers to experiment with, from flat card to different types of watercolour paper.

We started with 2 ready stamped images to 'test the waters' before we moved onto the main project which was designed to get us experimenting as much as possible with the colouring mediums. Jane had devised a Birthday Book so we had to stamp 12 images on different media and colour using different techniques. I used my 'practise' pieces for 2 of my images as I was pleased with the way they turned out. I had a couple that I hated once done but most I was either satisfied or really pleased with. Overall I think I went against the majority as most of the class preferred working with the Inktense but personally I preferred the Coloursoft with Sansodor and blending stumps. I've been advised that the Prismacolor I own are similar to the Coloursoft but will probably need to have more area coloured to blend them effectively as they don't 'drag' quite as well - possibly!






a) Watercolour paper, Coloursoft blended with Sansodor.

b) Flat card, Inktense, brush and water.

c) Watercolour paper, chalked background and Coloursoft untouched.

d) Watercolour paper, Inktense, brush and water.

e) Watercolour paper, Inktense, brush and water.

f) Flat card, Coloursoft blended with Sansodor.

g) Watercolour paper, Coloursoft blended with Sansodor.

h) Watercolour paper, Coloursoft blended with Sansodor.




i) Watercolour paper, Coloursoft blended with Sansodor.

j) Watercolour paper, Inktense, brush and water.




k) Flat card, Inktense, brush and water.

l) Watercolour paper, Inktense, brush and water.




Cover of Jane's book....





My birthday book is not finished as yet. I've mounted all my stamped and coloured images onto the tags (all hand cut from Bazzill by Jane) which were chalked, stamped, trimmed but never left plain! I've yet to deal with the months and the title page. The pages will be held together with a book ring.

All 'ingredients' can be purchased at the Glitterpot or Google for the Inktense and Coloursoft and a selection of sites come up. Click here for Derwent's site and their full range.

Enjoy!!


2 comments:

Selkie said...

Gorgeous colouring and lovely images! thanks for the tips!

Budge said...

Lovely images and the colouring looks great. Thank you for explaining what you used.


Sylv xx